Walking is something most people can do, regardless of their individual level of fitness.
Regardless of whether someone has an active and physical lifestyle or whether the normal physical activity is a short trip from the couch to the refrigerator, increasing the amount of daily walking has significant benefits for both short and long term
Ever wondered what happens to your body when you start walking? Here’s a minute-by-minute rundown of the amazing chain reaction of walking and exercise has upon your body, it’s truly amazing!
Minutes 1 to 5
Your first few steps trigger the release of energy-producing chemicals in your cells to fuel your walk. Your heart rate revs-up from about 70 to 100 beats per minute (bpm), boosting blood flow and warming muscles.
Any stiffness subsides as joints release lubricating fluid to help you move more easily. As you get moving, your body burns 5 calories per minute, compared with only 1 per minute at rest. Your body needs more fuel and starts pulling from its carbohydrates and fat stores.
Minutes 6 to 10
Heartbeat increases and you’re burning up to 6 calories a minute as you pick up the pace. A slight rise in blood pressure is countered by the release of chemicals that expand blood vessels, bringing more blood and oxygen to working muscles. Your body temperature keeps rising, and you start to perspire as blood vessels near the skin expand to release heat. As your walk becomes brisker, you’ll be burning up to 7 calories a minute and breathing harder. Hormones such as epinephrine and glucagon rise to release fuel to the muscles.
Minutes 21 to 45
Feeling invigorated, you start to relax as your body releases tension, thanks to the dose of feel-good chemicals such as endorphins in your brain. As more fat is burned, insulin (which helps store fat) drops–excellent news for anyone battling excess weight or diabetes.
Minutes 46 to 60
Your muscles may feel fatigued as carbohydrates stores are reduced. As you cool down, your heart rate decreases and your breathing slows. You’ll be burning fewer calories but more than you were before you started. Your calorie burn will remain elevated for up to 1 hour.
BENEFITS OF WALKING DAILY
The below are the benefits of walking daily,
- Low impact way to get in shape and lose weight. Walking between 7500 and 10000 steps a day is one of the keys of fitness
- Improve sleep
- Decreases Hypertension, reducing risks for heart attacks and strokes. Walking daily has been shown to increase good cholesterol (HDL) and decrease bad cholesterol (LDL)
- Reduces Stress
- Increases balance and endurance
- Increases sexual desire and satisfaction
- Slows mental decline
- Improves the mood and battles the effects of depression
- Gives you time to think. Daily walking can act as a form of meditation. It gives you time to mull over ideas. If you have problems at work or at home, a nice walk could help you to come up with solutions
- Reduces fatigue
- Once you form the habit, it is easy to turn it into a lifestyle change.Of all the forms of fitness and exercise routines, walking has the highest compliance rate
- It can make you smarter. Daily walking can make you sharper and smarter and reduces the chances for long-term mental disease because it helps to increase blood flow through the brain
At Lifeline wellness, we offer amazing packages at affordable prices for our clients. Our Gold membership package includes an unlimited gym, pool, steam sauna, jacuzzi and unlimited group classes like Aerobics, Zumba, Body Pump, Cxworx, Abs blast, Circuit training, Kickboxing, Fatburn, Yoga, Boot camp, HIIT, discount in salon & spa services, karate classes, swimming classes & more. Our Platinum package includes monthly facial, pedicure, manicure & full body massage in addition to all of the services in Gold membership.
We have branches within Abu Dhabi at Al Salam Street, Muroor, ADNEC, Electra, Khalidiyah1, Khalidyah2 & Najda. You are free to access all of our facilities if you have a valid Lifeline membership id.